My new oven

24 Nov

Earlier this fall around the beginning of September I started noticing my oven-cooked food being a little more difficult to cook. Things werent turning out right (soggy on bottom and burnt on top), it was taking forever to reach any kind of temperature (2 hours to hit 400), and I couldnt handle it anymore.

Quite frankly, it was depressing to cook and bake any longer. I didnt know if my food was going to turn out right or not. Then I had to learn how to make use of the top heating coil instead of the bottom one (which was no longer working) without scorching things. It took about 2.5 hours last weekend to make a tray of brownies.

This was the same oven that had been in the house practically since it was built in 1977! So it was definitely time for a new one. My parents being wonderfully awesome, foresaw the holidays coming and knew I would want to bake for everyone……so they offered to get me a new oven for my christmas present this year. How fabulous!!!!!!! Isnt it glorious????

My new oven was delivered this morning. I cant stand how awesome it is. I love it already. I cant wait to cook all of my blog recipes on my new stove 🙂 🙂  Thanks mom and dad!!!!!!!

Now my kitchen is starting to match – Dishwasher on the left and Stove on the right. Next step: replace the microwave above the range.

I made a trial run with brownies and turkey curry soup. If the soup is any good, I’ll let you know 😉

Advertisements

10 Responses to “My new oven”

1. Annie November 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

I totally understand how frustrating a 70’s stove/oven can be – I had one too! I was lucky enough to have been given a Viking Professional range about 4 years ago from a friend who converted from elec to gas and I couldn’t be happier!! LEt me know about the turkey curry soup – I made dinner last night and have lots of leftovers!

• lmullane November 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

OMG sooooooo lucky to get a Viking, annie!!!!! Lucky you!!

I’ll email you the turkey curry soup recipe when I get home tonight – it’s on my home computer.

2. Veruca Salt November 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

It is beautiful! Gotta love parents that know what you need 🙂 I got a new dishwasher for Christmas one year. Totally needed and appreciated and used more than a sweater ever will!

• lmullane November 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

I would take an appliance over a sweater ANYDAY. And i dont care if it shows how old I’ve become 🙂

3. Liz November 26, 2012 at 9:45 am #

I know your pain!!!! Bad oven is really discouraging. Zaps the excitement right out of a trying a new recipe.

Hooooooooray for mr. and mrs. Mullaney!!!

Bon Appetite!

4. Roseann November 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

Congratulations, it’s beautiful!

5. Amy November 24, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

It looks fantastic! 🙂

• lmullane November 26, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Thanks everyone! And yes, Liz, a bad oven TOTALLY zaps all fun out of cooking and baking. I was getting really depressed when thinking about baking because I wasnt sure if anything would turn out right. It was awful.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Mexican Flan | A Sliver Of Each - March 26, 2013

[…] my oven was having issues, it took a bit long than expected to cook through and in the process the top […]

2. Mrs. Olson’s Banana Bread with Buttercream Frosting « A Sliver Of Each - December 21, 2012

[…] is a great amount of bananas added. Pay no mind to the burned quality of the bread……my oven was in poor […]